A deck box is a stylish outdoor item that can be functional, decorative, and an accent piece. A deck box can sort outdoor chaos and even keep your garden clutter-free. On patios, deck boxes are a convenient form of storage and can be used as seating and even as a coffee table. But can you put deck boxes on the grass without killing it?
Flat-bottom deck boxes will kill your grass if left in one spot too long. Moving it every couple of days or getting one on legs or wheels can extend the time for a needed move. Grass needs Sun, rain, and air to be healthy.
Clutter in your garden can be cleared away with a deck box, and one on the grass is useful. Deck boxes are convenient and come in different materials, sizes, and shapes that cater to outdoor uses as much as a tidier yard is attractive. If you need a deck box for your yard, finish reading and determine what may be best.
First, Can You Even Put A Deck Box On the Grass? If yes, how long?
You can put a deck box on your grass, but it will kill it dependent on the time of year and how long it has set on it.
In the winter, when grass may go dormant, you can leave it on for a month or so. You may only have 24 hours in summer and warmer climates.
Why Do You Want The Deck Box On The Grass?
Homeowners know the importance of having a space for tidying away goods. So a deck box is a must-have, especially if you spend a lot of time outdoors gardening or entertaining. And having a deck box right there in the garden often is more straightforward than going to a storeroom or garage to fetch a tool or a cushion.
If you’re a keen gardener, a deck box on your lawn gives you easy access to small garden tools like trowels, forks, and gardening scissors. A deck box on the grass is also an excellent spot to keep a bag or two of potting soil, and your seeds can be stored there.
A deck box on the grass is an ideal storage space if you enjoy outdoor yard games. Lawn games are great for keeping kids and teens entertained. And if you have a cricket set, bats and balls, or a croquet set nearby, you can whip these out and entertain friends, teens, and even grandchildren for hours.
A deck box on the grass is a handy spot to store and protect outdoor chair cushions from the weather. You can even keep a picnic blanket and an umbrella in a deck box on the grass. It’s a suitable place nearby and on the grass to tidy up after an event quickly.
Above Ground pools also make for a great advocate for a storage box that can be set on. However, better deck boxes and storage solutions can protect your grass better than the standard flat-bottom resin deck box.
Types Of Deck Boxes Best For Grass & Yard Usage
Here we will look at the best materials and designs for yard usage. Some of the best materials for extended outdoor use are as follows.
Some of the options for designs include:
- Resin deck boxes that look like wood or have an embossed wicker-style look
- Plastic deck boxes
- Wooden deck boxes in cedar with the option to fit a resin base inside
The resin boxes last on grass, and you can choose colors like green or brown to fit in. You can also use a wicker-like designed resin deck box as a classic accent on your grass. Wooden deck boxes on the lawn in a yard are attractive and have a rustic appeal. Some homeowners prefer weather-proof deck boxes like chests.
- Moisture resistance: Resin is a synthetic material highly resistant to moisture, making it an excellent choice for outdoor environments where rain, snow, or humidity may be present. This moisture resistance also means resin deck boxes are less likely to warp, crack, or rot over time.
- UV resistance: Many types of resin are also UV-resistant, which means they are less likely to fade or discolor over time when exposed to sunlight. It is significant for outdoor storage containers that are likely to be exposed to direct sunlight for extended periods.
- Lightweight and durable: Resin is a lightweight yet durable material that can withstand exposure to the elements without cracking or breaking. This makes resin deck boxes easy to move and reposition in your outdoor living space.
- Low maintenance: Resin is a relatively low-maintenance material compared to other outdoor storage containers. It does not require regular staining or sealing and can be cleaned with soap and water for easy upkeep.
Overall, resin is an excellent choice for outdoor storage containers like deck boxes because of its durability, resistance to the elements, and low maintenance requirements. While resin deck boxes may not have the natural aesthetic appeal of wood or other materials, their practical benefits and long-lasting performance make them a popular choice for many outdoor living spaces.
Cedar wood deck boxes are a popular choice for outdoor storage containers because they are highly durable and resistant to the elements. Here are a few reasons why cedar wood is well-suited for use in outdoor settings:
- Natural resistance to rot and decay: Cedar wood contains natural oils that make it resistant to rot, decay, and insect damage. Cedar deck boxes are less likely to deteriorate over time, even when exposed to moisture or outdoor pests.
- Moisture resistance: Cedarwood has a natural resistance to moisture, which makes it an excellent choice for use in outdoor environments where rain, snow, or humidity may be present. This moisture resistance also means that cedar deck boxes are less likely to warp or crack over time.
- Aesthetic appeal: Cedarwood has a natural, attractive appearance that can enhance your outdoor living space’s overall look and feel. Its warm tones and natural grain patterns can complement various outdoor decor styles.
- Low maintenance: Cedarwood is relatively low-maintenance compared to other types of wood. It does not require regular staining or sealing and can be left untreated for a natural, weathered look over time.
Cedar wood is a great choice for outdoor storage containers like deck boxes because of its natural durability, resistance to the elements, and aesthetic appeal. While cedar deck boxes may be slightly more expensive than some other materials, their long-lasting performance and low maintenance requirements make them worthwhile for many outdoor living spaces.
What Designs Are Best For Extended Yard Usage?
Deck boxes with legs are a type of outdoor storage container designed to be raised off the ground. Rather than sitting directly on the grass or patio surface, these boxes are supported by legs or a stand that elevates them several inches above the ground.
One of the primary advantages of deck boxes with legs is that they help prevent damage to the underlying grass or patio surface. By lifting the box off the ground, air can circulate more easily, and moisture can escape, reducing the risk of mold, mildew, or other types of damage to the surface below.
Wheels are another advantage that elevates the bottom of the ground and then makes it easier to move. Deck boxes with wheels are outdoor storage containers that are designed to be mobile and easy to move around your outdoor space. Unlike traditional deck boxes that are stationary and require lifting or dragging to advance, those with wheels have built-in casters that allow you to roll the box to a new location.
One of the main benefits of deck boxes with wheels is their mobility. If you frequently move your outdoor furniture or need to reposition your storage container, a box with wheels can make this process much more manageable. You can push or pull the box to a new location without straining your back or requiring additional help.
Another advantage of deck boxes with wheels is that they can be used on a variety of outdoor surfaces, including grass, gravel, or pavement. In addition, the wheels help distribute the weight of the box while moving and prevent damage to the surface below.
Most deck boxes with wheels let the storage box bottom set too close to the grass. thus reducing the amount of light, moisture, and air available to maintain a healthy lawn where it sits.
What is needed, is wheels that are placed to make the bottom of the deck box sit higher up. Like the short list below for a couple examples.
What are some of the best deck boxes with wheels?
- The vidaXL Patio Storage Box: A beautiful wooden outdoor storage box with a dimension of 46″x20″x23″. It is made of high-quality acacia wood and has a natural oil finish to ensure durability and resistance against weather conditions. This patio storage box is perfect for storing outdoor items such as cushions, garden tools, and toys, and features a hydraulic system that makes it easy to open and close the lid. Its slatted design ensures proper ventilation to prevent mold and mildew growth inside the box. This storage box is easy to assemble and a great addition to any patio or backyard..
- Sundale Outdoor Storage Box: is a large, 160-gallon outdoor storage container with built-in wheels for easy transport. It is made of durable, weather-resistant resin material and features a flat, hinged lid that opens easily for access to your stored items. The storage box is also lockable to keep your belongings safe and secure. This product is ideal for storing patio cushions, gardening tools, sports equipment, and more. It’s easy to assemble and requires no maintenance, making it a convenient and practical storage solution for your outdoor space.
What About Deck Boxes With Legs, More Like Furniture
- Hampton Bay Beacon Park Wicker Outdoor Storage Trunk: This deck box has a wicker design and features sturdy, powder-coated legs that elevate the box off the ground. It has a capacity of 120 gallons and is weather-resistant for outdoor use.
The Leisure Season Deck Storage Box : Is an outdoor storage container that is designed to store gardening tools, outdoor equipment, and other household items. It is made of solid wood with a medium brown finish and is treated to withstand outdoor weather conditions. The storage box features a hinged lid that opens easily for access to your stored items, and it has a capacity of 18.5 cubic feet. This product is a great addition to any patio, deck, or backyard, and provides a convenient and stylish way to keep your outdoor space clutter-free.
- Loon Peak Ermont 65 Gallons Gallon: The Loon Peak Ermont 65 Gallon Deck Box is a weather-resistant outdoor storage solution made of durable resin material with a wood-like texture. It has a 65-gallon capacity and a hinged lid for easy access to stored items. Handles on both sides make it easy to move, and it adds a stylish touch to your outdoor space.
Deck Boxes On The Lawn As Furniture
There’s no need to think of a deck box as just a space to store small outdoor tools, cushions for chairs and chair covers, or gardening paraphernalia. You can even use the top of a deck box as a seat on the grass. Put a few cushions on it, and you can sit down and relax. You can also use a deck box top as a table for a quick snack, tea, or coffee right where you work.
One of the most innovative designs for a deck box on the grass is a bench with storage attached underneath. The deck box is part of the bench and fitted below the seat and between the bench’s legs. As a result, the deck box is at least 2-3 inches off the ground and not flat on the grass.
One of the concerns of many homeowners and gardeners is that deck boxes kill off the grass underneath. The grass is therefore deprived of sunlight, and the grassroots are smothered if a deck box is put down directly on the grass.
Here are some of the popular seating models that keep you off the grass as well.
- Safavieh Brisbane Wood Deck Box: This deck box is made from durable acacia wood and features a sturdy, elevated design that keeps the box off the ground. It has a capacity of 70 gallons and includes a waterproof lining for added protection.
- Keter Solana 70 Gallon Storage Bench Deck Box: Is a weather-resistant storage solution made of durable resin material. It has a 70-gallon capacity and a comfortable seating area that can support up to 551 lbs. The bench features a hinged lid for easy access to your stored items and has a wood-like texture that adds a stylish touch to your outdoor space.
- Outsunny 29 Gallon Garden Storage Bench is a stylish outdoor bench with a wooden frame that doubles as a storage container. It has a 29-gallon capacity and a comfortable seating area that can support up to 330 lbs. The bench features a hinged lid for easy access to your stored items, making it a practical addition to any outdoor space.
These deck boxes with seat cushions and legs or wheels are designed to be both practical and stylish, making them an excellent option for anyone who wants to add extra storage and seating to their outdoor living space.
Deck boxes can be a convenient and helpful addition to a grass yard, but they can also pose a risk to the health of the grass if left in one spot for too long. To prevent damage to the grass, it is essential to move the deck box around every couple of days or choose a deck box with legs or wheels that will keep it above the grass.
When selecting a deck box, it is crucial to consider factors such as size, material, and design to ensure that it meets your storage needs and fits with the overall aesthetic of your outdoor living space. Whether you opt for a wooden deck box, a plastic model, or a wicker option, many choices are available to fit your needs and preferences. With the correct deck box in place, you can keep your outdoor living space organized and tidy while protecting your grass’s health.