With the help of a deck or patio umbrella, you may enjoy meals, host gatherings, or even work in the fresh air without burning under the scorching sun. However, with so many choices on the market, it can become tricky to know which one to get that effectively protects you from the sun. Therefore, we’ve listed some of the best ones to help narrow your search!
Materials to look for; Acrylic, Polyester, Olefin, and Sunbrella brand materials are best at blocking harmful UV rays on those sensitive skin humans. Also, they hold up to fade & mildew well compared to Vinyl & Canvas.
I am getting to an age I don’t care about UV harm as much as I don’t want the burn, then I can’t get a good night’s sleep. However, the grandkids I do worry about. That is why I researched which fabric is best for UV blocking.
So, Where to begin? We will start with the materials and, in essence, their pros and cons and end up which some top umbrellas we have bought or been beneficiary of sitting under. I hope you will enjoy it.
Best UV Blocking Materials For A Patio Umbrella
Spending time on your patio is a great way to enjoy the outdoors, but protecting your skin from the harmful effects of UV rays is essential. One effective way to do this is using a patio umbrella with a UV-blocking material.
These materials are designed to shield your skin from the sun’s harmful rays while allowing you to enjoy fresh air and natural light. So if you’re looking to create a safe and comfortable outdoor space, consider investing in a patio umbrella with one of these top UV-blocking materials.
Effective in protecting human skin from UV rays and preventing sunburn. Here is some additional information on how each fabric type can provide UV protection:
Acrylic Umbrella Materials, What Makes Them Good For UV
The acrylic fabric has a dense weave that protects against UV rays. It can block up to 98% of the UV radiation from the sun, making it an excellent choice for patio umbrellas.
Acrylic umbrella materials are generally durable and resistant to fading, mildew, and water damage, which makes them ideal for outdoor use. However, the longevity of an acrylic umbrella can vary depending on factors such as the quality of the fabric, frequency of use, and severity of weather conditions. With proper care and maintenance, an acrylic umbrella can last many years, but it’s important to follow care guidelines to ensure it stays in good condition.
So, here is my finding synopsis; Acrylic is known for its durability and resistance to fading, mildew, and water damage, which makes it an excellent choice for outdoor use. It can withstand prolonged exposure to sunlight without losing its color and is generally effective at blocking rain. However, wind and prolonged exposure to the elements are its main downfall. Put it away in the shed or large deck box, or get a cover to protect your nylon patio umbrella.
Umbrella Materials Made Of Polyester, How Do They Rate For UV
Polyester: Polyester fabric can also provide effective protection against UV rays. It can block up to 97% of the UV radiation from the sun and is commonly used in outdoor fabrics.
Polyester is durable and able to withstand outdoor elements, but the lifespan of a polyester umbrella depends on factors such as quality, frequency of use, and severity of weather conditions. Polyester resists fading and mildew but may not block UV rays as well as other materials. In addition, its water resistance may degrade over time. To extend the lifespan of a polyester umbrella, store it in a shaded area, clean it regularly, and practice proper maintenance.
My final result regarding polyester patio umbrella material is the following. Polyester is also a durable material that can resist fading and mildew. However, it may not be as effective at blocking UV rays as acrylic and may not provide as much rain protection due to its relatively low water resistance. Protecting while not in use or storing away will give you the best results.
Ofelin Umbrella Material, How Does IT Compare At Blocking UV
Olefin: Olefin fabric has a tight weave that provides excellent protection against UV rays. It can block up to 98% of UV radiation from the sun and is often used in outdoor furniture and umbrellas.
Olefin is a relatively new synthetic material that has been gaining popularity in recent years due to its durability and resistance to outdoor elements. While its longevity can vary depending on several factors, Olefin is generally a long-lasting material that can withstand exposure to the elements like sunlight, rain, and other detrimental environmental factors.
Olefin was first introduced in the 1960s as a low-cost alternative to other synthetic materials like polyester and nylon. It is made from a type of plastic that is spun into fibers, which are then woven into a fabric. One of the main advantages of Olefin is that it is naturally resistant to moisture and mildew, which makes it ideal for outdoor use.
While Olefin is durable and resistant to water damage and fading, it may not be as effective at blocking UV rays as other materials like acrylic or Sunbrella. Additionally, Olefin can be prone to pilling, forming small balls or clumps on the fabric’s surface.
Overall, Olefin is a durable and long-lasting material that can provide effective protection from outdoor elements. However, it’s essential to take proper care of your olefin umbrella, including storing it in a shaded area and cleaning it regularly to ensure it stays in good condition over time.
The main downfall here with Olefin is it can be a lesser UV blocking ability, and storing can cause pilling. Pilling is a common issue that can occur with certain types of fabrics, including Olefin. It happens when small balls or fibers clumps form on the fabric’s surface, usually due to friction or wear. This can make the material look fuzzy or worn, reducing its overall durability and function over time.
Sunbrella Fabric And Its Advantages, If Any, For Patio Umbrellas
Sunbrella is a high-performance fabric known for its excellent UV-blocking ability. It can block up to 98% of UV radiation from the sun, making it a popular choice for outdoor use. Sunbrella is also resistant to water damage, fading, and mildew, which makes it a durable and long-lasting option for patio umbrellas.
Sunbrella is made from acrylic fibers that are tightly woven together, which provides effective protection against UV rays. Additionally, Sunbrella is easy to clean and maintain and can be stored outdoors without the worry of damage from exposure to sunlight or moisture.
Overall, Sunbrella is a high-quality material that provides excellent protection against UV rays and is resistant to outdoor elements. While it may be a more expensive option compared to other materials like Olefin, it can offer superior performance and longevity over time.
In essence, Sunbrella materials will last longer outside without storing or covering and making it a great choice for all summer use.
Sunbrella Sounds Like A Brand Name, What Popular Umbrella Manufacturers Actually Use It
Sunbrella: Sunbrella fabric is specifically designed to provide UV protection. It can block up to 98% of UV radiation from the sun and is commonly used in outdoor furniture and umbrellas.
In terms of manufacturers that use these fabrics, the ones mentioned earlier, such as Treasure Garden, Galtech, California Umbrella, and Abba Patio, are all known for producing patio umbrellas that offer effective UV protection.
What Are The Price Ranges Of Top Selling Umbrella Brands
Top 10 Manufacturers and their price ranges These manufacturers are known for using high-quality materials and advanced technology to create patio umbrellas that effectively protect against UV radiation from the sun. They offer a variety of styles, sizes, and materials to suit different preferences and needs. As a result, they are trusted by customers worldwide for their durability and performance in outdoor environments.
The prices for patio umbrellas from these brands can vary depending on the size, style, and frame materials used. However, here are the approximate price ranges for each brand:
- Treasure Garden: $200 to $800+
- Galtech: $150 to $500+
- California Umbrella: $100 to $300+
- Abba Patio: $50 to $150+
- Coolaroo: $100 to $200+
- Sun Garden: $100 to $300+
- Purple Leaf: $200 to $500
- Bambrella: $500 to $1000+
- FiberBuilt Umbrellas: $200 to $500+
- Shademaker: $400 to $1000+
- TUUCI: $500 to $2000+
It’s important to note that these are approximate price ranges. Each brand’s specific cost of a patio umbrella can vary depending on several factors, including the size, materials used, and any additional features or customization options.
What are the prices based on the materials talked about here?
On average, here are the prices of typical selling umbrellas for the overall internet and umbrellas with the specific materials talked about:
- Acrylic: Patio umbrellas made from acrylic tend to be on the higher end of the price range, as acrylic is a high-quality and durable material. Prices for acrylic patio umbrellas can range from $250 to $800 or more, depending on the size and style of the umbrella.
- Sunbrella: Patio umbrellas made from Sunbrella can also be relatively expensive, as Sunbrella is a high-performance fabric known for its UV protection and durability. Prices for Sunbrella patio umbrellas can range from $150 to $600 or more, depending on the size and style.
- Polyester: Patio umbrellas made from polyester are generally less expensive than those made from acrylic or Sunbrella. Prices for polyester patio umbrellas can range from $50 to $200 or more, depending on the size and style of the umbrella.
- Olefin: Patio umbrellas made from Olefin are also generally less expensive than those made from acrylic or Sunbrella. Prices for olefin patio umbrellas can range from $60 to $250 or more, depending on the size and style of the umbrella.
It’s important to note that these are approximate price ranges, and the specific cost of a patio umbrella can vary depending on several factors, including the manufacturer, the quality of materials used, and the specific features of the umbrella.
Alternative Options for UV Blocking Materials On Patio Umbrellas
Here are some additional materials that may be good for UV blocking in patio umbrellas:
- SunTex: SunTex is a woven polyester mesh material that provides excellent UV protection while allowing airflow and visibility. It is often used in commercial and residential outdoor shade applications.
- PVC-coated polyester: This heavy-duty polyester fabric is coated with PVC for increased durability and water resistance. It can provide adequate UV protection while being easy to clean and maintain.
- Vinyl: Vinyl is a synthetic material known for its durability and resistance to weather and UV radiation. It can be used in outdoor umbrellas and shade structures for adequate sun protection.
- Canvas: Canvas is a heavy-duty woven fabric that can provide effective UV protection while being durable and water-resistant. It can be treated with various coatings or treatments to enhance its performance in outdoor environments.
- Mesh fabrics: Mesh fabrics can be made from a variety of materials, including polyester, nylon, and PVC, and are designed to provide adequate sun protection while still allowing airflow and visibility. They are often used in outdoor shade structures and commercial applications.
Overall, many different materials can be used to create patio umbrellas and other outdoor shade structures that provide effective UV protection. However, it’s essential to consider your outdoor space’s specific needs and preferences when selecting a material and to choose a high-quality, durable option that will withstand exposure to sunlight and other outdoor elements over time.
Which umbrella wins inside my family and friend circle With good UV Blocking?
This umbrella was used and often bought (in different colors to match individual color schemes) and different sizes. It gave good UV blocking, and construction and use were straightforward…The overall winner based on performance and price is:
Phi Villa brand was the winner, typically based on price and features per se. On average, the round down through the center of a table in the 10 ft size, Click Here to Learn More; PHI VILLA 10ft Patio Umbrella Outdoor 3 Tier Vented Market Table Umbrella
However, this won due to 3 sales out of 10 family and friends, other brands bought are listed quick below.
There are several manufacturers that produce high-quality patio umbrellas with effective UV protection for under $400. Here are the other brands that were bought out of the list:
- California Umbrella: California Umbrella offers a range of affordable patio umbrellas with UV-protected fabric, including options made from Sunbrella and Olefin materials. Prices typically range from $100 to $300, depending on the size and style of the umbrella. Here are the umbrellas and wide range of colors available bought: California Umbrella 11′ Round Aluminum Market Umbrella
- Abba Patio: Abba Patio produces a variety of outdoor umbrellas with UV-resistant canopies made from polyester or Olefin materials. Prices typically range from $50 to $150, depending on the size and style of the umbrella. Here is the size bought: Abba Patio 9ft Patio Umbrella Outdoor Umbrella Table Market Umbrella
- Coolaroo: Coolaroo offers a range of patio umbrellas made from durable, UV-resistant materials like Sunbrella and Olefin. Prices typically range from $100 to $200, depending on the size and style of the umbrella. Here is the one bought: Coolaroo 90% UV Block 2 Position Adjustable Tilt Umbrella, 11′ Round
- Purple Leaf: Purple Leaf is a manufacturer of high-quality patio umbrellas with UV-protected canopies made from a variety of materials, including polyester, Sunbrella, and Olefin. Their umbrellas are known for their effective UV protection and durability. They are priced in the mid to upper range of the market. This was bought 2 times in the cantilever style. While the sizes were different, here was the least expensive unit sold: PURPLE LEAF 9′ X 12′ Patio Umbrella Outdoor Rectangle Umbrella
Overall, the best UV-blocking patio umbrella for under $400 will depend on your specific needs and preferences. It’s important to consider factors like size, style, materials, and durability when selecting an umbrella and to choose a reputable manufacturer with a track record of producing high-quality outdoor products.
Patio umbrellas can be a great addition to any outdoor space, providing shade and protection from the sun’s harmful UV rays. Many different materials are used to construct patio umbrellas, each with its advantages and disadvantages. Acrylic, Sunbrella, polyester, and Olefin are among the most popular materials used in patio umbrella construction, each with varying levels of UV protection, durability, and affordability.
While some materials may be more expensive than others, selecting a patio umbrella that meets your specific needs and preferences is essential, considering factors like size, style, materials, and durability. With proper care and maintenance, a high-quality patio umbrella can provide effective UV protection and last many years, making it a valuable investment for any outdoor space.